The organisers of a huge heavy metal festival due to be held at Boughton House between August 15 and 17 have spoken for the first time since internet rumours began to spread that the event had been cancelled.
Marilyn Manson, The Cult and Gary Numan were just a few of the acts due to appear at Alt-Fest in two weeks’ time.
However, rumours began circulating the internet on Tuesday saying the event had been cancelled after bands and some support staff said they had begun to receive emails to that effect.
The rumours gathered further pace when heavy metal star Marilyn Manson changed the status of his headlining slot to read ‘cancelled’ on Facebook.
Ticket holders took to social networks to vent their anger and demand answers about ticket refunds, but the organisers remained silent throughout Tuesday and most of Wednesday.
However, in a statement released last night (Wednesday, July 30) the organisers said: “We at Alt-Fest HQ would like to sincerely apologise for our silence over the last 24 hours.
“Currently we are working all hours to deal with some extremely challenging and stressful issues for Alt-Fest.
“We will be able to provide an official statement with full information before Monday and answer any questions you may have at that time.
“We want you to know that we have been doing everything we can to take the right steps for you: our fans, friends and customers - we assure you we only have your best interests at heart.”
The event aimed to be the first heavy metal, goth and industrial festival in the UK.
A kickstart fundraising campaign was held last year which raised more than £60,000 towards the cost of the festival.
The event website can be found at www.alt-fest.com.