A four week crackdown on drink driving by Northamptonshire Police resulted in almost 100 arrests.
During June, the county’s police force checked drivers by the roadside as part of a month-long anti drink-driving operation, with 93 people arrested on the county’s roads.
From June 1 to July 1, 1,298 people were brethalysed, and out of the arrests, 68 people have been since charged - the same number as last year’s operation.
Out of those who were charged, nine were aged between 17 to 24.,
All drivers involved in crashes, spotted committing road offences, and those suspected of having drunk alcohol, were also subjected to breath tests.
Chief Inspector Dave Lawson, from Specialist Operations, said: “The figures show an increase in the number of people arrested for drink driving compared with the same time period last year.
“This year however we did carry out a higher number of tests which would account for an increase in the numbers of people arrested.
“In carrying out road side checks officers acted on intelligence and were more targeted in their approach.”
Chief Inspector Lawson added: “Officers carry out breath tests throughout the year as part of our ‘Fatal Four’ campaign, not just during the Summer and Christmas, and at all times of the day and night.
“Any amount of alcohol can impair your driving, even if you are below the legal limit, so we would advise people to abstain from drinking alcohol completely if they intend to get behind the wheel.”
This year, eight people were arrested between 7am and midday.
Throughout the campaign officers took part in roadside operations took place throughout the county and at all times of the day.
In the same operation last year, 782 people were subjected to a breathalyser.
The figures for 1 June 2012 to 1 July 2012 show:
- 1,298 people were breathalysed
- Of the total breathalysed, 93 people were arrested for drink driving
- Eight people were arrested between 7.00am and 12.00noon – the ‘morning after’
- Of the total arrested, 14 were between 17-24 years of age and nine of whom have been charged
- In total 68 people have been charged
In comparison, the figures for 1 June 2011 to 1 July 2011 show:
- 782 people were breathalysed
- Of the total breathalysed, 83 people were arrested for drink driving
- Six were between 7.00am and 12.00noon – the ‘morning after’
- Of the total arrested, 22 were between 17-24 years of age and 16 were charged
- In total 68 people were charged