Residents were delighted as plans for up to 230 houses on the edge of a village were refused by councillors.
The Telegraph reported last year that Gladman Developments Ltd had applied for outline planning permission for up to 230 residential dwellings on land to the north of West Street in Stanwick.
They said it would be a mix of high quality housing types to provide for varied local housing needs with access from West Street.
But the plans attracted hundreds of objection letters.
Dozens of people packed the public gallery on Wednesday, March 11, to hear East Northamptonshire Council consider the plans at tonight’s meeting.
But they didn’t have to wait long for a decision as councillors took only 15 minutes to make their minds up.
After hearing from two speakers who raised concerns about the development, including increased traffic, the school already being at capacity and local services such as doctors being over-stretched by the increase in population, councillors went with the planning officers’ recommendation to refuse the application.
Speaking during the meeting, Cllr Dudley Hughes said it was great to see so many people there to hear the decision, and added: “This reflects the fact that this is a totally unacceptable development.”
The committee’s decision was welcomed by campaigners, both at the meeting and on Twitter afterwards, although the developers may yet choose to appeal.