Corby’s former Odeon cinema went up for sale this week with the hefty price-tag of £275,000.
The former movie theatre in Rockingham Road has not been a cinema for decades and now operates as a furniture salesroom, but beneath the suspended ceilings and boarded-out walls lie many original features of the beautiful old building.
Here we take a look back at some of the most famous cinemas in our area during their heyday.
Our black and white picture of the Odeon is undated, but the hoardings show that that evening’s feature was Marlon Brando film Mutiny on the Bounty which was released in 1962.
The cinema was completed in 1936 and was at the heart of the town’s shopping area before the new town centre was built.
It was designed by local architect Lawrence M Gotch and the first film to be shown there was First A Girl starring Jesse Matthews.
It had seating provided for 770 in the stalls and 272 in the balcony.
It was taken over by a local independent operator from 1969 and was re-named the Rutland Cinema but it closed later that year. It then became the Rutland Bingo Club and from 1996 it became a Chicago Rock Cafe before a furniture retailer moved in the following year.