Group abandons plans to build Naseby museum

0
Have your say

A plan which would have seen a museum built to mark a key battle in the English Civil War has been abandoned.

Volunteers had hoped to build a £3m museum on the site of the Battle of Naseby, and had been raising money for the project for the past seven years.

But the plan has been scrapped, with the chairman of the Naseby Battlefield Project saying they had proved unable to raise sufficient funds to buy the land on which the museum would have been sited.

However, Jenny Tarry said the group now planned to open a museum in Naseby’s 13th-century church instead.

The group hopes All Saints Church can be used as a place of worship as well as taking on a new role as a museum.

Mrs Tarry said: “After the disappointment of having to abandon our ambitious project and being unable to raise sufficient funds to buy the land, we’ve picked ourselves up, dusted down and revised our ideas.

“We’re now embarking on a new and exciting plan for a visitor centre at Naseby.”

She added: “Its principal function is and always will be a place of worship, but there is room in it for shared space to house a museum.”

The Battle of Naseby took place in June 1645, and resulted in a decisive Parliamentarian victory in which King Charles I’s Royalist army suffered significant losses.

The proposed new initiative will be displayed to the public during a re-enactment weekend at Naseby Village Hall on June 22 and 23.

However, with the church set to undergo urgent repairs, the museum is unlikely to open for another two years.

High hopes for battlefield.